Apple will begin to roll out iOS 7, its mobile operating system. Deployment times will be staggered throughout the day. Best time may be around 6pm.
This is a major upgrade! iOS 7 is a redesign of the way the operating system looks, with Apple moving away from the natural-texture, 3D design to a more modern, flatter look.
There are also many new features, as is often the case with an updated iOS.
Steps to prepare:
Clean out the clutter.
- Remove apps you don’t use
- Offload pictures and video to your computer
- Maybe even delete music you never play. This frees up space on your device.
- The upgrade require 3.1 GB of free space to install
Update your device if you haven’t lately.
- Make sure all your apps are updated as well.
Back up your device.
- Connect your device to your computer via iTunes and sync it, even if you usually rely on wireless syncing and backup. This will provide you with a backup stored on your hard drive. Wireless syncing may be convenient, but syncing via cable is much faster, and gives you a copy of the backup that’s in your control.
Get the latest version of iTunes.
- If you don’t already have the current version of iTunes, you can download it here or run Apple’s Software Update. It’s often required if you want to download and install a new version of iOS via a cabled connection.
While it’s tempting to grab iOS 7 right away, it may be smarter to wait a few days and keep an eye on online iOS discussion forums for widespread problems that appear.
Warning: Downgrading back to IOS6 maybe impossible!